Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Heavy lifting

Let's face it. . .God did not create me for lifting heavy things. This presents certain challenges on the ranch. ESPECIALLY during the day when Brandon is gone and something NEEDS to get done. 

Thus, redneck ingenuity ensues. 

We're expecting a hay delivery today, four 1,000 lb bales. We didn't know it was coming today until after Brandon had left for work. So, it was up to me to prepare a "landing" place for the bales. We have a few pallets laying around here and there so I figure I'll throw a few down for a base and then we can build a lean-to with pallets and a tarp around the hay. No problem, right?

Problem, big problem.

Dragging these things through 4 inches of snow is tough! Again, God did not design my body for this. I've been sick most of the week and the lack of energy isn't helping either. That's when the redneck light bulb turned on! If I had some sort of pulley system I could glide them along the top of the snow.

I go to the barn to steal a couple of Jordyn's lead ropes. I wrap the lead ropes on either end of the top of the pallet and hook them to themselves. PERFECT! Now, all I have to do is pull them into place. 

It worked great! Just like a pallet toboggan. I wish I had a camera with me, or my phone even, to get pictures of this epic moment.

Now to just sit back and wait to see if the hay bales fit on it...let's hope!

No comments:

Post a Comment